Welcome and thanks for visiting our website.
Shaar Shalom Synagogue’s Vision
We’d like to share the driving force for our community. Our vision statement encapsulates our goals and aspirations for the Shaar Shalom community and upon which many of our activities and programs are based. We invite you to explore both our website and the services we offer. We encourage you to come out to one of our many Shabbat services, listed below. By bringing to our attention that you are a visitor, we will pair you with one of our members to join them in the service or the kiddush and get to know us. Feel free to contact our friendly office staff for any questions you may have at (905) 889-4975.
- We care about each other
- We care about meaningful Jewish life
- We care about ongoing Jewish learning to inform our lives
- We care about passionate Jewish prayer every day of the year
- We care about our larger community through education, tzedakah and social action
- We care about Israel and the Jewish people
Not coincidentally, the first item on the list is caring about each other. That’s the foundation for all the rest: we care about each other as we work together to build a meaningful Jewish life full of ongoing Jewish learning, passionate Jewish prayer, caring for our community, and caring for Israel and the Jewish people.
Are you looking for . . .
- a warm and welcoming congregation where you feel you can belong?
- a traditional Conservative Synagogue that has daily services morning and evening?
- a synagogue where we hold different prayer services to meet the different needs of our constituents: traditional conservative, Hashkama (Early Bird), egalitarian service twice monthly (Yachad), Mishpacha Service for those with young children, Chaverim Shabbat for school-aged children once monthly.
- a synagogue that offers a free Jewish learning program after school with tuition included in your annual membership (other than nominal materials fee)?
- a spiritual centre where you can celebrate your family’s Jewish milestones?
- a place to fulfill the mitzvah of saying kaddish for a loved one?
Shaar Shalom Synagogue is a traditional Conservative synagogue affiliated with the United Synagogues of Conservative Judaism. We celebrate the Jewish holidays, Jewish lifecycle milestones and provide the opportunity to say kaddish, when the need arises, in a warm, embracing environment.
Daily services are held morning and evening, every weekday of the year in the more intimate Cayne Family Chapel allowing you to focus on prayer and to connect with other worshippers for support and friendship.
Shabbat and holiday services are conducted in the main sanctuary and are led by a combination of laymen and our Cantor, all under the supervision of our Rabbi.
If you are visiting the area or are looking for membership in a Conservative synagogue, we invite you to attend our services. Please advise one of the ushers that you are a visitor and we will make every effort to make you feel at home in our spiritual home.
Shaar Shalom Synagogue is located at the corner of Don Mills Road and Simonston Blvd., one block north of Steeles Avenue and serves the Thornhill and North York communities.